Malin Malmström, Sustainable Finance Lab Center Director and Professor at Luleå University of Technology, participated in two UN-led podcasts as an expert panelist with her thoughts on financial markets and myths on investing in women led businesses and on fighting gender bias in investment decision-making.
The Swedish UN ambassador in the US initiated the panel in episode 19: on the challenges women led businesses face and what investors, advisors, owners and consumers can do to break down these barriers. Episode 25 is a follow-up interview by UN Capital Development Fund to the panel discussion.
Below here is a summary of the episodes from the podcasts website.
#19 Debunking myths about investments, risk and women-led businesses
The argument persists that markets are inherently efficient and consistently rational. If investments in women-led businesses and into funds managed by women generate better results, why is there little progress in directing more capital to them? What can investors, advisors, and asset owners do to increase the flow of finance to female entrepreneurs and fund managers?
• Anna Karin Eneström, Permanent Representative of Sweden to the UN
• Preeti Sinha, Executive Secretary, UNCDF
• Sonia Gardner, Goodwill Ambassador, UNCDF and President, Managing Partner and Co-Founder of the Avenue Capital Group
• Sandy Urie, Chairman Emeritus of Cambridge Associates
• Malin Malmstrom, Center Director of the Sustainable Finance Lab, Professor at Luleå University of Technology, LTU, Department of Business Administration, Technology and Social Sciences (ETS), Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Moderator: Esther Pan Sloane, Head of Partnerships, Policy and Communications, UNCDF